Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ocean of Noise

White flashes.

The mad scientist stood in front of me, deep in a sea of thoughts. I was afraid of disturbing him, so I kept silent, and waited. He had a face of confusion, but shifted rapidly into a contorted expression of insanity and perfect calm. And as if a trance broken, his pearly, hollow eyes shifted towards me. In a perfect baritone, he asked me why I was there. I replied that I did not know. There was silence, and then, a rumble of thunder in the distance. I asked him what he was thinking about. He replied that he was thinking about suicide.

At this, I gasped and had a look of horror splash across my face. I grew worried, and it showed in my actions. In a soft, low voice, he told me to calm down. At this, I did not know what to feel, because serenity was coming from a monster. He explained that he was not dwelling upon the act, but of the theory. He reasoned that people took their lives because they had limitless ambitions, but their practical human natures and limitations prevented them from reaching these goals. Disillusionment would set in, and darkness enfold.

A bolt of lightning... creeping closer.
White flashes.

The time traveller called out to me, and I walked over, still dazed. He had a warm, cheerful spirit, and I felt refreshed as he commented how nice it was to see me again. He noticed I dragged a heavy heart, and asked what my problems were. I asked him if he was a happy man. He replied a simple yes. I asked him why. He said he was in love with his wife, and that meant all the happiness in the world to him.

At this, I grew puzzled. I argued that if he unwillingly and unconsciously time travelled at any given time of the day, how could that make him happy? Surely, he must have felt insecure and dread at this curse? He replied gently, telling me that it was not a curse, but a blessing.

I did not understand this.
White flashes.

I was petrified at the sight of the woman in black. Her face was as pale as death, and in her hand was a parchment. On that parchment stood a terrifying sight - a single, bold letter 'R'. It was determined, it was a conqueror, it stroke terror in my heart, and I wished that death itself had taken me. She drifted closer, as with the wind that howled away the night.

She spoke in slithering silence.

I smiled.
White flashes.

Then, nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home