Saturday, June 11, 2005

Persuasion---Heavy Stuff(at least I warned you)

'She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older.'

I just watched Persuasion on DVD for the second time in my life. The first time occurred during a series of lit tutorials in school where I remembered myself spending a good deal of time sleeping and not paying attention to the plot for I really didn't know, and I dare say care, what was happening and just who was this Anne Elliot or Wentworth and so forth. I guess this mentality carried on me when I decided to watch the movie again today. I guess, certainly quite like Lady Russell on several occasions, I was quite wrong and had to content with my misjudgment and lack of good perception.

Actually, I didn't expect both Sir Walter and Lady Russell to be portrayed so relatively young. Nor did I remember William Walter being so attractive outwardly, or such the same case for Louisa Musgrove, which hardly discounts her for her stupidly, pardon me but I can find no other word, in her fall in Lyme. The settings of Lyme and Bath were beautiful, and I take pleasure in knowing that I have set foot on the actual set locations in bath, the most prominent being the roman baths where Jeremy and I actually(and rather unfortunately) drank the bath water, the taste of which still horridly lingers in my mouth even this very instant. Nonetheless, the architecture and the sea view of Bath and Lyme respectively are absolutely breathtaking and brilliant. I should most fancy someday in my retirement, or presumably sooner, taking long strolls along the streets of Bath and the seaside in Lyme.

The Victorian culture, especially that of the Musgroves, the Harvilles and the Crofts, exceptionally delighted me and took pity an interest in me. I simply adore the Victorian wear of the gentlemen, especially that of the navy. Moreover, I am rather fond of the dresses(excluding the corsets) that women of that age wore. It brings out the feminine side of them, and brings out the gentleness and sweetness of their appearance and character. Anne is very pretty in the movie, and it is no wonder if this is such the case, why Wentworth can't forget her, though I hardly think it is the looks rather than the intellect and the true love that Wentworth cares about.

Jane Austen is brilliant and an exceptional writer of her time, despite my earlier claims in the year that she was boring and too complicated. After reading the novel, and then proceeding on to the movie, I've come to realise that there is a certain attractiveness of Persuasion that's as much a mystery as to Sir Walter's failure to appreciate and acknowledge Anne's superior beauty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home