Saturday, April 07, 2007

Lights will guide you home

"Last night i dreamt of Manderley again..."

5 Months have passed since i last stepped foot on Pulau Hantu and Sisters' Island.
And yet, their beauty remains as fresh as the surrounding sea breeze in the ocean of my mind. It is haunting, and often, before i go off to sleep, my thoughts would wander back to the islands and i would start to get all emo (i know you all are going like.."ok here goes shane again blah blah..).
A lot happened on those 2 islands.
On pulau Hantu, i was exhausted beyong all human limitations. My stomach was sucked it because i had vomited my guts out from the sea-sickness while kayaking. But we had a moment's rest and i took in time to look at the distant storm clouds that were approaching. Below, a painted picture of a seemingly calm sea (which i knew was otherwise from first hand experience just shortly before) and the large floating vessels on it. Bliss.
Then the group decided that it was prudent we cover more expedition ground for that day, and hence, we packed up our stuff again, loaded our kayaks and began our journey back to Sisters' Island to spend the night there instead. Along with my clothings, the tents and food, i packed along a dreaded anticipation and a tortured and battered body.
But it turned out to be fine.
I remember paddling along the channel, and Sean and I started singing the RI anthem in 2 parts (harmony and melody) and from there we did not stop singing; songs ranged from Oasis, to Backstreet Boys (don't deny you didn't listen to them when you were kids!!), to Lifehouse and finally our crowd favourite, Mambo hits. I remember laughing even. The one hour journey did not feel as bad as i had imagined.
Reaching Sisters' Island, i was in full spirits. A few of us were playing in the bay after we had anchored the kayaks, and the beauty of the sky and the sea, the sea and the sky captivated me in full force. I was mesmerized to a point of ethereal intervention. To this day, I simply cannot forget the image. It haunts me.
I have to go back....I must go back....

"Tears stream down your face..."







Welcome to the beauty of Nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home