Thursday, May 22, 2008

Glory glory Man United

Where were you when Ole Gunner Solskjaer put the ball into the German's net?

Echoes of the past blasted into a crescendo with their trumpets today. Manchester United are once again the Champions of Europe.

As I watched Giggs step up to hold the trophy, there was a white flash before me. Then, a nothingness. My mind went into reverse, and my thoughts drifted into the past. I thought of how I started crying when Ronaldo missed his penalty; how I fell into such a deep despair that no hands could pull me up. Then, the sheer exhilaration when Terry missed his penalty, when all glory seemed to be slipping away from the Red Devils. I screamed and shouted like I never did before in a soccer match as I was concurrently deafened by the Old Trafford Faithful in the bar. Sometimes, after something like this happens (not to mention the United post being hit twice), you just know it, there is a feeling going through your body, you just know it, and you believe it, that this night would be a night of nights, it would be your night.

Sure enough, when Van Der Sar saved Anelka's shot, I went wild. Absolutely crazy, running and jumping around my area of the bar, waving my banner as though I had just won the war for my country. I beat my own record set just minutes before when I shouted till my voice was gone, and throat was horse.

Then, my mind floated to the same night in 1999. The stuff of dreams, 9 years in the making. A different squad, the same spirit. Finally, it rested on a single photo in my memory. A youthful Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Class of 92'

Where was I when Edwin Van Der Sar saved the shot from Anelka?
In an Irish Bar in Paris.

Where were you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home