Tuesday, June 10, 2008

you're so last summer

One of the quotes I'll always remember from Band of Brothers was made by Lt. Ronald Spiers. He was talking to Blithe somewhere near Carentan.

*********
BLITHE
When I landed on D-day, lieutenant, I found myself in a ditch all by myself and I... fell asleep. I think it was those airsickness pills they gave us.

SPEIRS
Uh huh.

BLITHE
But when I woke up, I didn't really... try to find my unit. To fight. I just kind of... stayed put.

SPEIRS
What's your name, trooper?

BLITHE
Blithe, Sir. Albert Blithe.

SPEIRS
You know why you stayed in that ditch, Blithe?

BLITHE
I was scared, sir.

SPEIRS
We're all scared. It's because you still have hope.

BLITHE
You don't, sir?

SPEIRS
Here's the way I see it. The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it.

*********

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home