Sunday, August 03, 2008

All Star

In the past few days, I find myself seeing people from a different perspective. I witnessed strongholds of stereotypes crumbling down into ash and dust, and there is a serene movement of song that brings together the harmony and melody into one crescendo of a chorus. Outwardly, there is a roar of noise and a cascading waterfall of expression and emotion. The earth moves and trembles at the ferocity of the quake. The sound of drums and bells echo in the distant, with a vanguard of pipers leading the march. Inwardly, however, there is silence. And in that absence, there is a presence. This presence shouts louder than any man can, it shines brighter than the sun that scorches, and it heals more powerful than the moon can conjure. It is a pride; a simple, quiet, passionate pride.

I see this pride all around. It glows around the people that inhibits it. Through the lens of the camera, I see things that would not normally be seen, and I try to capture them, because the world needs to know, the world desperately needs to know, that idealism and passion can survive. In the O Comm, House ICs and OGLs, I see a dedication and energy that far transcends any earthly matter. It is a commitment to see something started completed, while having a blast at the same time. There is a care and hospitality that is so uncommon, so unlike the usual tip toeing of our time. I admire the House ICs, in particular, because they have done something which I would never be able to do; to unite the people into one voice. Seeing the daily workings of the O Comm, I am reminded of my JC Council days, and during moments of rest, I can sit down and indulge in sweet nostalgia.

Above all, from both committee and campers alike, I see passion. You can't capture it on film no matter how great the shot is. All that's left to do then, is to immerse yourself during moments like this, and try to keep the feeling in your heart.

I am blessed with everyone that has seen me through the last few days. I believe that at the end, I will remember all the small things. Sleeping all around NUS, Ben's and Alvin's snoring, Bras Basah complex, 7am briefings, bathing at SRC at 12am, bidding, 3 hours sitting at business canteen, and that quiet, quiet pride.

All that glitters is not gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home