Sunday, January 16, 2005

Iago

i've just watched the modern day version of Othello on film. it's called O. you know, now i really understand the meaning of a picture is worth a thousand worths, and a movie is worth a thousand more. this film has really given me an insight on the characters i thought i knew and thrown light on the other side of them.
the jealously and hatred Iago has for Othello, i can now finally understand why and watching the motives for the hatred unfold before, i can't help but feel sympathetic with Iago and agree with what he has done. when one is reading the book, one cannot physically see the onslaught that Iago is made to go through. a hellish torture.
Roderigo is another character who has shown that he is vital to the plot and is indispensible. in many ways, he can be parallelled to Othello. the way he endures everything just to get his true love and his guliblity, without which Iago would have found difficulty in carrying out his plans.
after the movie i was left in tears and sort of hyper ventilating. because i realised one thing, one thing so evident throughout the whole movie but i failed to comprehend until the end, until the very last sentence.
it dawned on me that, i am Iago. I am Iago. I am Iago. the more i say it the more it makes sense.
these are Iago's last lines in the movie, and it sums up my life.
All my life I always wanted to fly. I always wanted to live like a hawk. I know you're not supposed to be jealous of anything, but...to take flight, to soar above everything and everyone, now that's living. But a hawk is no good around normal birds. It can't fit in. Even though all the other birds probably wanna be hawks; they hate him for what they can't be. Proud. Powerful. Determined. Dark. Othello is a hawk. He soars above us. He can fly. One of these days, everyone's gonna pay attention to me. Because I'm gonna fly too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home