Sunday, February 13, 2005

my daughter

i time travelled again today. i landed in a room i was unfamiliar with. the room was a bedroom and from the looks of it, it belonged to a child
suddenly, light emerged from the crack of the bottom of the door. i opened it and light flooded the room. i was blinded momentarily. when it felt less painful to open my eyes, i squinted. a hallway stood in front of me. the hallway led to another room and infront of the room at the door, stood a child. the child was a little girl. i shifted my glance for a while, and noticed a framed picture hanging from one of the walls in the hallway. 3 people were in that picture. a man, a woman and a girl. the woman was beautiful and she glowed with pride, pretty in pink. i smiled, as if knowing all along. the man, i soon realised, was myself, at around, 30ish i would say.
i was in my future house. this was my future neighbourhood. this was my family. my wife. my daughter....my daughter was standing right in front of me now. i looked at her. she was beautiful, she was pretty, she was my child. her sleepish expression met my astonishment. she pulled her long black hair back to see the man in front of her clearer. in her right arm, she cradled a teddy bear about the size of her upper body. when she saw me, she tightened the grip, then as if realising some unknown prophersy, she let the bear fall to the floor and ran arms wide open towards me, screaming "daddy! daddy!" she threw herself in my arms and i was overwhelmed.
here i was hugging my daughter, my own, in my arms. waves of emotion rushed over me. tears cascaded down my face, as did hers.
"daddy, you're back! you're back!" the pretty face serenaded to me. before i could say anything, she shouted in the direction of the room, " mommy! mommy! daddy's back! daddy's back!" immediately i heard footsteps and a woman, drenched in tears appeared at the doorway.
she joined in the hug, crying "you're back! you're back!"
"where am i? i mean, my future self?" i asked.
suddenly, it was as if all sound was sucked from the room. the 2 girls of my life became so silent the noise was deafening. they didn't meet my eyes. finally, my little girl said, "well, we sort of haven't seen you for a year daddy.." her voice tailed off.
why....
after a long silence, my wife whispered, "there was an accident last year and...well..there was a lot of blood...you said your final words and then..and then..."
before she could finish, i felt myself being pulled. time travelling. no No NO!! NOT NOW!!
white flashes. then nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home