Monday, September 03, 2007

Last night i dreamt of Manderley again..

Warning: Overdue posts ahead

Teachers’ Day

“No class came close to yours”. He said it with such a degree of sincerity that for a moment, I was in disbelief, no, rather, I could not believe him. And so, ever to break the slippery slopes of ice, half jokingly I said, “I’ll try to take that in a positive light.” Simply, he replied, almost immediately, “yea, yea, I really do mean it in that way.” I was stunned and deep beneath my eyes, tears; deep beneath my heart, shame.

After leaving NYJC for about 2 years, the school still continues to nurture me. The lessons ring in my ears, the click from Mr Kellett’s mouse plays a metronomic chorus, the words “Man Utd rocks” on Mr Tan’s essays are still before me. I see Miss Kwok dancing and jumping around the class, Mrs Teo lifts me up to Xanadu, Mr Yee still continues to spar with Kelvin and Mr Nathan still hasn’t given up hope on us.

“The Lit room doesn’t look like ours anymore.”
It doesn’t.

But sometimes nostalgia is all the more beautiful.


Weekend Results

Manchester United 1 Sunderland 0

That was what the scoreboard reflected. What it did not, was gratitude, passion, hope…and home, Old Trafford.

Roy Keane made his triumphant return to the theatre of dreams, not as a player, not even as someone on the side of United. It was one of the few times in history the Old Trafford Faithful gave a standing ovation to a manager of the opposing team.

A special guard of honour comprising members of both teams, as well as their managers, was laid out for a hero – Ole Gunner Solskjaer. Humble as always, he decked out, waved to the crowd, his crowd, a depth of gratitude and sincerity so intense, and left back into the tunnel. For anyone who needed a lesson in humility, that was it.

While watching the match, I had a mischievous feeling creeping up my spine, that perhaps, Roy Keane was thinking, “Owen reminds me of me”. Hargreaves played a spectacular match, marshaling the midfield, and keeping himself cool whenever he had the ball. There was a sense of calmness in his rhythm which spilled over to the team as a whole, and I really do hope that he would go far in his United career.

Aston Villa 2 – Chelsea 0

Ha Ha! (Nelson from the Simpsons)

Blackburn 1 – Man City 0

Excellent…. (Mr Burns)

Liverpool 6 – Derby 0

What the….

Fulham 3 – Spurs 3

It never rains but it pours.

Newcastle 1 – Wigan 0

Our old boy, Owen is back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home