Thursday, April 15, 2010

Don't Look Back

I am not part of history. I am not a citizen of history. I am an absence. I am an invalid. I do not exist.

I was looking through some videos on the fall of the Berlin Wall, and I grew very depressed because I realised that in all my 23 years of living, I have not been part of something that impacted or changed the world. Heck, not even in my own country.

In 1789, I was not King Louis XVI.

In 1805, I was not Nelson.

In 1815, I was not Napoleon.

In 1870, I was not Bismarck.

In 1914, I was not a soldier.

In 1917, I was not Lenin.

In 1939, I was not Hitler.

In 1948, I was not Tito.

In 1989, I was not Gorbachev.

For now, I am a victim of history, the very thing I love. I cannot, I just cannot believe that I will go through my life as someone ordinary. I may die in the process, but if that's the tragedy of history, then give me tragedy. Where is my Trafalgar?

3 Comments:

Blogger icyrach said...

You aren't ordinary you dodo :)

1:13 AM  
Blogger alvyn said...

Well, I think there's one surefire way to write yourself into the history books... Self immolation ala Jan Palach 16th January 1969- it's only one kerosene can away.

6:08 PM  
Blogger cheyenne54 said...

aye Alvyn, you think you Murfett isit....ala here ala there

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home