Thursday, September 25, 2008

Superman

White flashes.

I met the invisible man today, and I thought to myself, "how ironic!". He read my thoughts, and told me that there was a limitless possibility there, because where we were, was not the world, and therefore, we did not need constraints, or rules, or definitions, or standards, or sanity, or logic. Things were as they were, without any connotations attached to them. I agreed with his view, and asked if he was sad being invisible. He replied, "when you are like me, you have no hopes, no dreams, and no expectations, and that is not necessarily a bad thing." He continued, "your world calls me apathetic, but I am happy. I get to protect, to watch over, and love the ones I love without them ever knowing I'm there."

I did not understand what the invisible man said.

White flashes.

I found myself in a moat. The sun was blocked by an object, and as I arose from the watery divide, I found that object to be a knight. He was silent, and spoke not. His horse grew a face of anxiety, as if waiting for some event to unfold, or as a distress call to his master. I could sense some sort of frustration and exasperation in the air, but still, all was calm and silent. I called out to him, but the gaze from his helmet stayed fixed on one of the higher towers of the castle. He spoke,

"I cannot cross the moat."

At this, I saw the moat become an ocean.

White flashes.

The alleyway was dark and damp, with moss and gangrene lining up the walls and cobbled stone. Alone in the corner sat a figure. As I drew closer, shock overcame me as I came face to face with a leper. What I saw disturbed me so much that I am unable to go through the experience of describing him again. He bid me come forward, and as if in a trance, I did. Feeling some need to show sympathy, I told him how I pitied him, and asked if there was anything I could do. He smiled, and said,

"My boy, my son. Please do not pity me, for I have a wonderful gift. I am a leper, and from my physical monstrosity, people are able to develop kindness and goodness. Their hearts can form, and perhaps, they would know what being a human really is all about."

Just then, I saw the woman in black. A overwhelming rush of respect filled me, and I smiled at her rotting face.

White flashes.
Then nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home